Monday, September 20, 2010

Visiting Junee, NSW.

It’s been a couple of days since I have blogged but there is a good reason as to why. It’s been an extremely long, tiresome and stressful year thus far. It’s been a year filled with some ups and a lot of downs. We have been hit with a few things that have hurt us, we have been hit with a few deaths in my family and we have both being working harder in our jobs than we ever have. I’m sounding like some pathetic whiney person but that is not my intention and that is not where I am heading with this blog entry.

My point is The Husband and I are extremely over worked, over tired, slightly disconnected from one another and needing a break and desperately needing to reconnect with one another. The way we reconnect is to basically organise some time off work, throw a few things in our suitcase and hit the open road.

We woke up bright and early on Friday morning and escaped Melbourne for an amazing couple of days with nothing but the open road in front of us and some maps. We decided to go to Wagga Wagga and Junee. We had an amazing time talking about our life together and seeing and exploring a very quiet little country town called Junee.

I fell in love with Junee much to everyone’s amazement. I think I heard at least 10 times “Junee? Junee? Why on earth would you want to visit that place?” I kept telling everyone that I was really excited about visiting this town, as there was so much history there. I love my country and I love nothing more than exploring tiny off the beaten track towns and researching the area and seeing the sites.

We started off by driving around this little town and we finally found the Information and visitor Centre. We spoke to a lovely local who gave us some information and recommendations on what we should see and do. We began at The Green Grove Organic Liquorice Centre and the second I looked at the building my heart just melted. The factory used to be an old flourmill that had been turned into a liquorice factory. It had to be the most gorgeous looking old building you could ever imagine and it was breathtaking. We bought a heap of liquorice and then sat down in the café and had a yummy cup of coffee and it was lovely to just sit there, talk with my husband and just totally relax.

I have not felt this relaxed for over a year and I just felt so amazing as all my stresses just flew off my shoulders. I kept staring at The Husband as he drove us around and gushed with nothing but love for him. I had love just coming out of my pores. He too looked very relaxed and I felt as if I had my husband back.

From the Liquorice Factory we headed over to the Junee Railway Station, which was the most beautiful, and breathtaking train station that I have seen in many, many years. Very early 1800’s architecture and just so beautiful. The Husband and I sat down for lunch in their cafeteria and I felt as if I was back in the 1800’s. It amazes me how these old towns have preserved their beautiful buildings like they should be.

We then spent time at The Monte Cristo homestead that claimed to be Australia’s most haunted building. We paid a lot of money to view this grand old home and yes it was beautiful but I would never recommend this tourist attraction to anyone. I found the owners of the home to be rude and not welcoming whatsoever. If you are planning to go visit then my recommendation would be not to! Regardless The Husband and I had a lovely relaxing stroll through their gardens.

Next stop was The Broadway museum, which used to be a pub, many, many years ago and has been converted to a museum. We had one of the workers walk around with us and tell us stories and tales about the area of Junee along with the all the history that she knew about the town. It was an amazing holiday and now we have been hit with the reality that we now have to wait another 12 months before we can hit the open road again and escape the madness of our lives!

If you are planning a holiday to NSW and have the time I highly recommend that you visit Junee. It is truly a wonderful old little town and its almost as if time has sort of stood still.

DH

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment