Saturday, September 11, 2010

Drama in the middle of suburbia!

After a day of sheer joy and jubilation I went off to bed at midnight and snuggled into the most beautiful sleep. My entire mind and body were so tired and drained that sleep literally came before my head even hit the pillow. At 2.34am I heard an almighty bang that actually jolted me out of bed. For a split second I thought that an earthquake was coming and I was thinking it’s the aftershock from New Zealand!

I jumped out of bed I stood on the side of the bed frozen for a minute trying to feel if the earth was moving. I looked for The Husband but he wasn’t in bed with me I then looked out my bedroom window and saw a huge fire and then 2 huge fire trucks park in front of our home.

I was still half asleep and trying to force myself awake to try and take control of the situation. When I say control I mean it as in do I need to grab the dog and some shoes, find The Husband and run out of our house, or are we all safe indoors.

I raced into the lounge room and The Husband was sound asleep and unaware of anything going on outdoors. Trying to wake him was impossible! I shook him and shook him but I could not rouse him out of his deep sleep so I resorted to punching him very hard on the leg. I calmly stated that he had to wake up, as there was a huge fire outside the front of our house and garden and there were fire trucks, we needed to wake up and access our evacuation plan.

The poor Husband was in such a deep sleep all due to a few glasses of wine and I could see the utter confusion in his eyes and he trying to comprehend why I was punching him and what was coming out of my mouth. He finally awoke and we raced out the front and we saw an obvious stolen car that had been dumped and then set alight. It was such a shock to see a burning car in the middle of suburbia. The entire neighbourhood was up and staring in sort of a voyeuristic shock. We all knew that we should have gone back into the safety of our homes yet we all couldn’t pull ourselves away from the scene and what our eyes were seeing.

This is cruel but my neighbours across the road and I were busy clicking away and taking photos. I then felt a wave of guilt for taking photos at another person’s misfortune so I slipped my iphone into my robe pocket. What have we as humans become where we all take photos at another’s misfortune?

But back to what I was trying to say. From 2.34am until about 6.30am we had the street cornered off by police cars, we had a police or forensic photographer taking photos, we then had a huge police tow truck come along and take the car away.

It was amazing the drama we had in the middle of suburbia! Our day today has seen both The Husband and I trying to catch up on sleep! Lets hope that this is the last of drama we have for a while and our street can get back to normality!

DH

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment